There are smart pirates. But we’ve all heard the other ones. You know the ones. So, let’s make a “greatest hits” collection, and then some crushing responses.
I’ll kick things off on the collection, but you all chime in.
– You don’t lose anything when I make a copy. You still have your copy.
– When I share copies of your work, more people read it. You should be thanking me.
– Anything you post on the web is in the public domain, and there is no copyright on it.
– Everyone knows that piracy doesn’t hurt sales. The pirates wouldn’t buy it anyway.
– Authors/publishers are all rich anyway. I can’t afford to pay what you want, so you owe it to me to give it to me for free.
– I’m just using it to study or teach, so I can copy anything I want as many times as I want, because educational uses are all fair use.